The setting of this clip is a lovely gazebo surrounded by a lake in an urban area. Dr. C and Huda draw analogies from the natural and urban world around them there, in a manner similar to what Jesus did in his teaching style.
It is important to understand the style of teaching Jesus used in order to:
- Fully absorb the point he was making
- Keep from being confused or finding it a stumbling block
- Explain to others who find it confusing or a stumbling block
- Not misinterpret or misapply what he says
- Be able to use similar techniques when we share God’s word with others
To do this his style used various techniques, including to drive home the points he wanted to make:
- Drawing illustrations from the environment surrounding him
- Using common everyday objects and activities
- Telling stories (parables, which we study in detail in the episode, “Jesus’ Parables”
- Using similes and metaphors
- Speaking plainly
- Occasionally speaking poetically (beatitudes)
- Exaggerating (hyperbole)
- Setting an example with his life
We see Jesus speaking plainly about things prayer, money, and forgiveness (Matthew 6:5,6,19,20 & 18:21,22). He also clearly prophesied his own death (Matthew 16:21), the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem, and the end times (Matthew 24). Jesus’ life is perhaps his teaching example (John 13:12, Mark 10:43-45.
Be the first to write a comment.